Sunday, January 2, 2011

In the last couple weeks I've been doing a lot of reading. Some of this has to do with getting a Kindle for Christmas, but mostly it has to do with finally having time to curl up in a chair and not have to do anything for a while. I was very sick the two days before Winter Break started, so I didn't go to work, which means I didn't collect my students' papers. Therefore, I have nothing to grade, and have filled the time with books. Of these books, three of them have been about magickal housekeeping. (I'm spelling it with a 'k' to differentiate it from slight-of-hand-type magic.)

Book One:
Magical Housekeeping: Simple charms and practical tips for creating a harmonious home by Tess Whitehurst.
I picked this book up because it had a chapter about clearing clutter. I have always struggled with this. I like stuff, I like things, and it's very hard for me to let go of things because most everything I own has some sort of positive emotional connotation for me. Since I live with someone who doesn't tend to keep things, this is often a source of tension in the house. Furthermore, I am about to acquire boxes and boxes of stuff from my parents' house. Some of it will be things that are mine that never moved to Chicago with me - books, knick-knacks, and a few pieces of clothing - but there will also be several large pieces of furniture, including a piano. I don't currently have space for these things. I am going to have to rearrange the furniture in the office to get the piano into the house. I don't mind doing that, but it means that I have to get rid of what I don't need anymore. Since this is a challenge for me, I went looking for help in this book. I'm not sure I learned anything new, but I did come away inspired to actually get on my feet and do some of the getting-rid-of-things work, so in that respect, the book was certainly helpful. It also inspired me to download two other books, which I'd been eyeing for a couple months.

Book Two:
Cottage Witchery: Natural magick for hearth and home by Ellen Dugan
Ellen Dugan's books came highly recommended, and I understand why. Her writing is clear and lighthearted, and she comes across as a competent, grounded witch whose charms and rituals are simple, focused, and practical. I haven't done anything she recommends yet, but that's ok. What I was really looking for was inspiration and focus, and I found both of those things. I will go back to this book more and more as I continue to work on myself and my home.

Book Three:
Garden Witchery: Magick from the ground up by Ellen Dugan
Oh, this book. This book makes me long for spring so I can go get my hands dirty. I have long been fascinated by the idea of garden witchery and kitchen witchery, and this book is perfect for me. Not only does it have information about magical associations of trees, shrubs, flowers, and herbs, but it also contains loads of practical gardening advice. Ellen Dugan is a certified Master Gardener, so she talks a great deal about how to care for the plants she describes. She includes information about growing zones, wintering plants, light requirements, soil types, and watering - just about everything a gardener needs to succeed. My favorite chapter was the one about shade plants - my yard has three big trees, so I despair of ever growing sun-loving plants like roses. Instead, I am learning to love shade plants. Happily, many of these plants have magickal associations and properties, and now I have a whole list of ideas for what I can add to my garden come spring.

And now, as I am typing this, I find myself feeling restless and ready to go tackle another project. Lesson planning will just have to wait until later. It's time to go clean some more!

No comments: