Saturday, January 1, 2011

I am avoiding making New Year's resolutions this year. It's not that I don't have goals, or dreams, or plans, but more that I feel as though making a list of "must do's" inherently denies the fact life doesn't always go as planned. We can either embrace those changes, or fight against them, but setting myself up with a list of potentially unachievable hopes seems self-defeating. Perhaps, this year, I'll focus more on living, and less on planning to live some day.

Also, I saw Black Swan today. It's a very good film. If you're squeamish, I don't recommend it, as there are parts that will definitely make your stomach turn. If, however, you like magical realism, twisted fairy tales, dark beauty, ballet, passion, and things-that-make-you-go-"hrm", then you might enjoy this film. It's a film about a woman who dances in Swan Lake and how she struggles with her obsession with perfection, and how she eventually embodies both the White Swan and the Black Swan. Natalie Portman does a lovely job playing Nina Sayers, the Swan Queen, and the supporting cast is phenomenal as well. I give this movie 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: