Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Doing and The Being

Words are hard and mischievous, and they slip from my mind like sand through a sieve. I want to capture memories and moments, to record them and the essence of them, but words will not do. I get one sentence in:

I am reading an interesting book.
I went to see True Grit today.
I spent the day yesterday grading papers and writing lesson plans.
I am ready for spring to get here.

and the ideas can no longer be expressed.

Today is definitely more of a day for being than for doing, but all of being is doing something. Breathing is an act. Swallowing is an act. Smiling, pushing my hair back from my face, even sitting in the car watching the world go past - all these little things are moments of doing that make up some of the essence of my being.

Even those words are not enough. Maybe I will delete this post tomorrow, but probably not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is living your gestalt...

Ninniane said...

The tao that can be named is not the tao.

Yeah.

I thought about that.