Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Exhaustion

I am the type of person who moves my furniture around every few months. Since I moved into my own house just over three years ago, I haven't done so much of that - most of the shuffling has been practical, rather than aesthetic, and the furniture arrangements are basically settled because they are what happens to fit in the space. However, the urge to change my space, to rearrange and reinvent hasn't gone away.

I stare in horror at the horrid tiling job around the window of the first floor bathroom, or the peeling paint on the ceiling in the bedroom and I think, "Gods, I have got to fix this!" and then I start adding up how much it would cost to do it right, and I throw up my hands and sigh. It's not that I can't paint the ceiling myself, or hang shelves, or a variety of other small projects, but I don't have the paint I need, and I don't have the energy to go find it. Time and energy are huge parts of the cost of these projects.

I don't know how other people do it. Go to work all day and then come home and spend time doing more things, like cooking or laundry or cleaning or whatever. I come home so fried that all I want to do is eat comfort food and read a book or play a video game.

No comments: