Monday, April 11, 2011

The "YES I AM" Project

I've wanted to do a project like this for a while now: Select an album and create a set of photographs, one for each track on the album. There are several classic albums that people on flickr have done, but I haven't really gone looking at them. I want this project to be uninfluenced by anything other than my mind, my memories, and my music.

The album I've chosen to work with is Melissa Etheridge's "Yes I Am". It came out just as I was starting high school, and it, in many ways, echoes much of what I was going through as I was trying to find my way in terms of my spirituality, my sexuality, and my place in not-quite-adult society. This is also the album the prompted me to learn to play the guitar.

Here is the track list and the related lines of inspiration:

1. I'm The Only One: "Please baby, can't you see/ My mind's a burning hell..."
2. If I Wanted To: "There'd never be another woman who could make you think twice..."
3. Come To My Window: "I don't care what they think/ I don't care what they say..."
4. Silent Legacy: "You are digging for the answers/ Until your fingers bleed/ To satisfy the hunger/ To satiate the need..."
5. I Will Never Be The Same: "In the morning of the night/ You cried, a long-lost child/ And I tried, oh I tried to hold you/ But you were young and your were wild..."
6. Yes I Am: "In these days and these hours of fury/ When the darkness and answers are thin/ Lovers come and check out in a hurry/ Shallow and hollow again..."
7. All American Girl: "A decaf coffee in her hand/ And a Marlboro red..."
8. Resist: "A demon's day in madness kissed/ I swear I never had it like this/ Forbidden, yet I cannot resist..."
9. Ruins: "I will crawl through my past/ Over stones, blood, and glass/ In the ruins/ Reaching under the fence/ As I try to make sense/ In the ruins..."
10. Talking To My Angel: "I've always had to run/ I don't know just why/ Desire slowly smoking/ Under the Midwest sky/ But there's something waiting out there/ That says I have to try/ I've been talking to my angel/ And she says that it's all right..."

It may take me a very long time to get all the photos for this done. I know how I want them to look, and I'm not sure how to pull some of them off without a lot of help. I either need someone to be a model, or someone to be a photographer who can pull off the shots I describe while I model.

No comments: