Saturday, April 23, 2011

A List of Projects is a List of Dreams

One of the things I love about being an artist is that there's really never an end to making things. Even if one project isn't taking my attention, something else is. There are a lot of projects currently in the works including my Yes I Am photo project, my New Orleans vacation assemblage, and my coconut shell mobile.

Then there are the half-abandoned projects, like the numerous half-completed counted cross stitch pieces I have sitting around. The pile of books I started reading that I want to go back to. The home improvement ideas that range from "almost done" to "just a sketch on paper". The stories I've started writing and never finished.

And then there's the list of Things I'd Like To Do Some Day. The list is always evolving. Sometimes I add things, sometimes I outgrow ideas and I remove them. There are no rules for this list. This is the list that keeps me going. Some ideas are fully formed, but just not ready to begin. Other ideas are nothing more than wisps. A color. A texture. A word. A line of a song. Sometimes I think about all the things I'd like to do and it seems so overwhelming. There's no way I'm going to get all these things done in my lifetime. But that's ok. That's not the point. The point is that these projects are dreams, and my dreams are what keeps me going.

No comments: