Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday is Journal Day

Today's project in the Crafter's Devotional is to personalize a journal. I used to be the blank-book queen. I've journaled since I was a kid (I think I got my first journal in 1st grade), and I've always had a love of empty notebooks. The potential and the possibilities that live between the pages inspire me. I still love blank books, but I find that I use them less and less. I type faster than I write, and I can think and revise and rephrase without having to muss my pages with crossings-out, and I'm enough of a perfectionist that there's always something a little sad about the first time I make a mistake in a blank book. Even white-out doesn't really solve the problem.

There is something rewarding about having my thoughts and idea out in the world for other people to read. As my friends and I have scattered ourselves physically, the hopes and dreams, fears and worries, successes and struggles we might have shared over pre-class smoothies, or sitting in chairs in Douglas Lounge, or just chatting on the phone, become the stuff of livejournal, facebook, blogger, and flickr. Since I do most of my journaling on-line now, my version of personalizing is a little more flexible, and a little less permanent. It's not hard to change fonts and layouts, colors and background images. Maybe today would be a good day to review my profiles and do some updating and rewriting as necessary.

No comments: